And on the 12th Day of Deadpool 20th Century Fox have given fans a new red band trailer. Jam packed full of bloody good action and that wisecracking wit the Merc with a Mouth is best known for, this Deadpool Christmas trailer has the perfect balance of naughty and nice. (If you cower in fear at the slightest word of curse or are opposed to violence, first, you probably aren’t interested in Deadpool to begin with, and second, maybe this more pansy green band trailer is what you seek.)
Expanding on what was presented in the Deadpool teaser shown earlier this year, we learn that Ajax (Ed Skrein) has kidnapped Wade Wilson’s (Ryan Reynolds) girlfriend Vanessa (Morena Baccarin). For what reason I can only assume it’s because if he has Vanessa held captive Ajax believes Deadpool will bow to his will. Of course that wouldn’t be any fun.
Touted as an origin story, Deadpool looks to favor more of a revenge tale rather than the wacky, mercenary hijinks seen in the comics – those will most likely come in a follow up sequel if this film proves successful. And for as much as I am on board for all the gloriousness that has been shown in the trailers – the mutants, humor, and self-awareness – I’m worried that the plot itself won’t be as fulfilling or original.
All of the marketing exudes confidence and suggests the filmmakers want to honor the character as best they can, which keeps me pretty optimistic. Now if only he could interact on the same playground as the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- I’m excited for Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Her scene at the end of the trailer better not be the only time we see her using her powers, like the bazooka scene in Kick-Ass. It would be a shame if the trailer spoiled this reveal.
- Speaking of Kick-Ass, I’m definitely getting that vibe based on the sarcastic superhero references.
- Colossus looks a bit cartoony, but I’m sure his effects will be more polished in the final film.
- Gina Carano looks mighty threatening. More than usual.
- It would be amazing if Deadpool could be in Captain America: Civil War
- I wonder if Wade will be fully trained before he turns full Deadpool or how they’re going to explain his ability to fight.
- It must be convenient for the marketing team, and even editing team, for Deadpool to have his mouth covered up so they can make him say whatever they want.
(Click on any thumbnail below to open the image gallery)
Here’s the official plot synopsis for Deadpool, courtesy of the Official movie website:
Based upon Marvel Comics’ most unconventional anti-hero, Deadpool tells the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.
Directed by Tim Miller, Deadpool stars Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson aka Deadpool, Morena Baccarin as Vanessa, T.J. Miller as Weasel, Gina Carano as Angel Dust, Ed Skrein as Ajax, Brianna Hildebrand as Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Stefan Kapicic as Colossus, and Leslie Uggams as Blind Al. The film is set to be released in theaters on February 12, 2016.
Source: 20th Century Fox