Empty your wallets and check your bank accounts, it’s time to see what’s Now Available To Own for the week of October 29, 2013. Each week we run down new releases in movies, television series, and video games that you can enjoy in the comfort of your own home. On shelves this week, you can find titles such as Monsters University, R.I.P.D., Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag, and more. Check out the complete list of new releases after the jump.
Monsters University (Also available in 3D) – A look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley during their days at Monsters University — when they weren’t necessarily the best of friends.
I don’t know about you, but I found Monsters University to be quite fantastic. A lot of people I’ve talked to found it just OK, they’re wrong. There is so much delightfully, fun comedy and heart that matches the same amount of joy in the first film. Both completely different from one another, Monsters University does a decent job at expanding the Monsters universe and giving us a warm look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley. There could have been a little more depth to the world, but the long list of special features on the Blu-ray definitely make up for anything you found wrong with the film:
- “The Blue Umbrella” Theatrical Short
- Audio Commentary
- Campus Life
- Story School
- Scare Games
- Welcome To MU
- Music Appreciation
- Scare Tactics
- Color And Light
- Paths To Pixar: MU Edition
- Furry Monsters
- Deleted Scenes
- Set Flythroughs
- Art Gallery
- Promo Picks
R.I.P.D. (Also available in 3D) – A recently slain cop joins a team of undead police officers working for the Rest in Peace Department and tries to find the man who murdered him.
There is nothing to see here folks. R.I.P.D. is a waste of talent from Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges. If you really want to see this movie, pop in Men in Black and pretend they’re ghosts instead of aliens. This overly convoluted film tries way too hard to have any sort of charisma and ends up just being completely bonkers. There are a lot of special features, so if you find it in a discount bin it might be worth your troubles:
- 2 alternate openings
- Nick’s new avatars
- R.I.P.D. motion comics: bringing the avatars to life
- Walking among us: deados & avatars
- Filming the other side
- Anatomy of a shootout
- Additional Features:
- Deleted and alternate scenes
- Gag reel
- Transferring R.I.P.D. – the making of
Cars 3D – Disney•Pixar is rereleasing Cars in 3D. With how little action there actually is in the film and the fact that the movie was never intended to be in 3D, I can’t say this would be a good watch. The special features are OK, but nothing out of the ordinary from Pixar:
- Carfinder game-discover hundreds of “Car-acters” in this immersive game
- Cine-explore-for the ultimate, behind-the-scenes experience
- Deleted scenes
- Mater and The Ghostlight short
- One Man Band short
Television on Blu-Ray
Damages: The Complete Series (Available only on DVD) – I personally have never seen an episode, but that doesn’t negate the fact that I’ve heard some pretty decent to positive buzz surrounding the show. With all five seasons on disc and a butt load of extras, fans of Damages should be happy to revisit the series:
- Audio Commentaries on Select Episodes by Cast and Crew
- Episode Introductions
- A Case for War: The Cast and Crew Discuss the Fourth Season
- Hair & Eggs
- Season 1 Recap
- Willful Acts: The Making of Damages
- Deleted Scenes
- Trust No One: Insight from the Creators
- Flight’s at 11:08
- The Evolution of Patty Hewes
- Understanding Class Action: Interactive Guide
- I’m The Father
- You Promise Me
- What Am I Doing Here?
- Damages Season 3 Teaser
- The Next One’s Gonna Go in Your Throat
- Season Two: Post Mortem
- 7 Character Profiles
- Directing Damages
- Sometimes You Just Get Damaged
- Damages Season 3: A Look Back
Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag (Available on PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U; Available on PS4 11/15, PC 11/19, and Xbox One on 11/22) – It is 1715. Pirates rule the Caribbean and have established a lawless pirate republic. Among these outlaws is a fearsome young captain named Edward Kenway. His exploits earn the respect of pirate legends like Blackbeard, but draw him into an ancient war that may destroy everything the pirates have built.
According to Ubisoft, pirates are still in this year. And who can blame them with what we’ve seen so far from trailers and gameplay. As Edward, players can effortlessly switch between all new weaponry, including four flintlock pistols and dual cutlass swords. The Caribbean is the most expansive open world Ubisoft has ever created and it looks absolutely gorgeous. Out at sea on the Jackdaw you can loot underwater shipwrecks, hunt for animals in the jungles, search for buried treasure, and sing merry songs with your crew. AC4: Black Flag is definitely a great addition to the Assassin’s franchise and a great release title for the PS4 and Xbox One.
Battlefield 4 (Available on PS3, Xbox 360, PC, and Wii U; Available on PS4 11/15 and Xbox One on 11/22) – Battlefield 4 is the genre-defining action blockbuster made from moments that blur the line between game and glory. Fueled by the next-generation power and fidelity of the Frostbite 3 engine, Battlefield 4 provides a visceral, dramatic experience unlike any other. New features include:
- Set off on your squad’s next thrilling, dramatic, character-driven mission to evacuate American VIPs from Shanghai and fight your way home
- Change the landscape in real-time with interactive environments that react to your every move
- Dominate land, air and sea with all-new, intense, water-based vehicular combat that will have you leading an assault from the back of a gun boat
- Play to your strengths, and carve out your own path to victory with an unmatched level of all-out war
- Battlefield 4 Premium membership will also be transferable
- Enjoy stunning audio and visual fidelity that blurs the line between game and reality, brought to you by the awe-inspiring power of the next-generation Frostbite 3 engine
- All owners of Battlefield 4 will be able to bring their gameplay stats as they upgrade to next-generation consoles, from the PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4
WWE 2K14 (Available on PS3 and Xbox 360; Available on PS4 11/15 and Xbox One on 11/22) – 2K’s first ever entry into the WWE franchise with a lineup that expands across all facets of the sports illustrious history. Fans will get to experience 30 years of WrestleMania in one epic game. Hoga, Andre the Giant, The Rock, Stone Cold, and John Cena, they’re all here to relive the greatest matches ever. Other features include:
- More than 45 prolific matches in an unprecedented single-player campaign celebrating 30 years of WrestleMania.
- Complete objectives to unlock playable characters, additional gear, historical WWE footage and bonus content on the road to immortality.
- Predator Technology 3.0 — Experience the smoothest, most authentic and engaging WWE gameplay to date, including all-new player navigation, an improved reversal system, catapult finishers, new OMG moments and hundreds of new moves.
- Creation Suite — Explore the franchise’s renowned creation and customization tools to develop Superstars, entrances, arenas, finishing moves and much more.
- Universe Mode — Control the virtual WWE experience from a career-driven point of view, with individual decisions dynamically affecting alliances, rivalries, matches and unpredictable moments along the path toward WWE Championship glory.
What will you be taking home this week, tell us in the comments section below?
Check out previous installments of Now Available To Own to see what you’ve been missing out on.
Find me on the Twitter @TyRawrrnosaurus
All plot synopses courtesy of IMDb.com