The 73rd Annual Golden Globes kick off awards season tonight as we enter one of the most heated campaigns of all time. We will be live blogging the event tonight when it kicks off on NBC at 5:00 p.m. PST and will be keeping you up to date with all of the 2016 Golden Globe Award winners as they are announced. With so many great contenders from 2015 – Carol, Spotlight, Mad Max: Fury Road, Room, etc. – it could be anyone’s game on the road to the Oscars, so expect the unexpected.
Hosted by Ricky Gervais, tonight’s Golden Globe winners should gauge the conversational temperature of who’s leading the awards trail before the Oscar nominees are announced on January 14. Though the Hollywood Foreign Press Association holds little weight as to who the Academy will choose, the Golden Globes seem to be more in line with the Critics’ Choice Award nominees than the SAG Award nominees, which is quite unusual.
We look forward to you tuning in with us!
And here we go
Ricky Gervais spent no time getting into some of the year’s hottest topics, especially the timely news about Sean Penn and El Chapo. Gervais also pokes fun at NBC for having no noms in any categories despite hosting the Golden Globes. Caitlyn Jenner and Jeffrey Tambor got dragged into some digs on the transgender conversation. Of course, paying for a Golden Globe award was brought up again, which made it extra funny when the camera panned to Harvey Weinstein. With Gervais being an outloud Atheist, Spotlight helped add fuel to his fire. And finally, Jennifer Lawrence’s campaign for equal pay paved way for a handful of jokes.
2016 GOLDEN GLOBE AWARD WINNERS:
Channing Tatum and
Jonah Hill the Revenant Bear are the first two presenters of the evening.
Best Performance By an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
- Jane Fonda – Youth
- Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight
- Helen Mirren – Trumbo
- Alicia Vikander – Ex Machina
- Kate Winslet – Steve Jobs (WINNER)
Out of all of the women in this category, I believe Winslet put in the best work thanks to Sorkin’s heavy script.
Jennifer Lopez and Dwayne Johnson are the next presenters.
Best Performance By an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television
- Uzo Aduba – Orange Is the New Black
- Joanne Froggatt – Downton Abbey
- Regina King – American Crime
- Judith Light – Transparent
- Maura Tierney – The Affair (WINNER)
Maura delivered a wonderfully humble speech despite her nerves getting the best of her.
Andy Samberg is the next presenter who almost gives a better monologue than Gervais.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Comedy or Musical
- Rachel Bloom – Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (WINNER)
- Jamie Lee Curtis – Scream Queens
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus – Veep
- Gina Rodriguez – Jane the Virgin
- Lily Tomlin – Grace and Frankie
Rachel had some really incredible energy giving her speech. I haven’t seen Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but from the clips I’ve seen and from all I’ve heard about it, I believe she deserves it.
Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard are the next presenters.
Best Television Series – Comedy or Musical
- Mozart in the Jungle (WINNER)
- Orange Is the New Black
- Silicon Valley
I’m shocked Transparent didn’t win, but I’m more glad that Veep didn’t win. But seriously, what the hell is Mozart in the Jungle?
Viola Davis is the first star to introduce the first film in the Best Motion Picture – Drama, Carol.
Lorenzo Soria, president of the HFPA, came out to make a speech.
Matt Damon is the next presenter right after Gervais pokes fun at Ben Affleck about being faithful. The Martian is the first film to be introduced for Best Motion Picture – Comedy.
Orlando Bloom and Bryce Dallas Howard present the next award.
Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
- American Crime
- American Horror Story
- Flesh and Bone
- Wolf Hall (WINNER)
What the hell is Wolf Hall? Who is talking about this show? Everyone wouldn’t shut up about Fargo Season 2, so I’m surprised by this decision.
Amber Heard and Jaimie Alexander are the next presenters of the night.
Best Performance By an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
- Idris Elba – Luther
- Oscar Isaac – Show Me a Hero (WINNER)
- David Oyelowo – Nightingale
- Mark Rylance – Wolf Hall
- Patrick Wilson – Fargo
Melissa McCarthy, Jason Statham, and director Paul Feig arrive on stage to present the next film nominated for Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical, Spy.
Tom Ford and Lady Gaga are the next award presenters.
Best Performance By an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television
- Alan Cumming – The Good Wife
- Damien Lewis – Wolf Hall
- Ben Mendelsohn – Bloodline
- Tobias Menzies – Outlander
- Christian Slater – Mr. Robot (WINNER)
The sad part about awards season is that it makes me feel very behind on television series. Can we all just slow down for a moment. I really need to see Mr. Robot.
Jamie Foxx and Lily James are the next presenters to arrive on stage. Foxx pulls a great jab at Steve Harvey and his recent flub on Miss Universe pageant. And I’m pretty sure we can all agree would all benefit from more Lily James in our lives.
Best Original Score – Motion Picture
- Carter Burwell – Carol
- Alexandre Desplat – The Danish Girl
- Ennio Morricone – The Hateful Eight (WINNER)
- Daniel Pemberton – Steve Jobs
- Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto – The Revenant
Gina Rodriguez and Eva Longoria Eva Mondes are the next presenters.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama
- Jon Hamm – Mad Men (WINNER)
- Rami Malek – Mr. Robot
- Wagner Moura – Narcos
- Bob Odenkirk – Better Call Saul
- Liev Schreiber – Ray Donovan
Jon Hamm did not roll up on stage this time, but he did give a really great speech.
A-Schu and J-Law Jennifer Lawrence introduce their movies, Trainwreck and Joy; both films are part of the Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical category.
Amy Adams is the next presenter for the second big award of the night.
Best Performance By an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
- Christian Bale – The Big Short
- Steve Carell – The Big Short
- Matt Damon – The Martian (WINNER)
- Al Pacino – Danny Collins
- Mark Ruffalo – Infinitely Polar Bear
Kurt Russell and Kate Hudson are the next awards presenters.
Best Animated Feature Film
- The Good Dinosaur
- Inside Out (WINNER)
- The Peanuts Movie
- Shaun the Sheep Movie
No surprises here.
Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt make it on stage without any kind of magical
Patricia Arquette and J.K. Simmons are the next award presenters.
Best Performance By an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
- Paul Dano – Love & Mercy
- Idris Elba – Beasts of No Nation
- Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies
- Michael Shannon – 99 Homes
- Sylvester Stallone – Creed (WINNER)
I’m really happy Sylvester Stallone wone, but Idris Elba and Paul Dano had the best performances out of all of these actors in this category.
Will Ferrell and Mark Walhberg sport 2016 NYE glasses as the next presenters to come on stage.
Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
- Emma Donoghue – Room
- Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer – Spotlight
- Charles Randolph and Adam McKay – The Big Short
- Aaron Sorkin – Steve Jobs (WINNER)
- Quentin Tarantino – The Hateful Eight
Melisas Benoist – the most adorable person in the room – and Grant Gustin are the next presenters. Can we just get a Flash/Supergirl crossover episode already.
Best Performance By an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy
- Aziz Ansari – Master of None
- Gael García Bernal – Mozart in the Jungle (WINNER)
- Rob Lowe – The Grinder
- Patrick Stewart – Blunt Talk
- Jeffrey Tambor – Transparent
Seriously, what is this show? I don’t need another show to add to my list of shows I haven’t seen. I just done.
Helen Mirren and Gerard Butler are the next presenters of the night.
Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language
- The Brand New Testament (Belgium / France / Luxembourg)
- The Club (Chile)
- The Fencer (Finland / Germany / Estonia)
- Mustang (France)
- Son of Saul (Hungary) (WINNER)
Helen Mirren says this is the first time Hungary has won a Golden Globe. Nice.
Kevin Hart and Ken Jeong, who need the mic to be lowered, are the next presenters of the night. The best mic drop of the night.
Best Performance By an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
- Kirsten Dunst – Fargo
- Lady Gaga – American Horror Story: Hotel (WINNER)
- Sarah Hay – Flesh and Bone
- Felicity Huffman – American Crime
- Queen Latifah – Bessie
Kind of dumbfounded by this due to all the terrible things I’ve heard about this season of AHS. But her heartfelt speech was really inspiring and graceful. Leonardo DiCaprio might not have felt that way though.
Katy Perry is the next presenter of the night.
Best Original Song – Motion Picture
- “Love Me Like You Do” from Fifty Shades of Grey
- “One Kind of Love” from Love & Mercy
- “See You Again” from Furious 7
- “Simple Song #3” from Youth
- “Writing’s On the Wall” from Spectre (WINNER)
So many tonight have been befuddled by their wins, same with everyone watching too, probably.
Mel Gibson presents Mad Max: Fury Road as the next nominee for Best Motion Picture – Drama.
Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis are the next award presenters.
Best Television Series – Drama
- Game of Thrones
- Mr. Robot (WINNER)
Just remember, the Golden Globes really mean nothing. Although, I have to agree that this past season of Game of Thrones wasn’t the best we’ve seen from the series.
Tom Hanks puts on his best Denzel Washington impersonation to congratulate the actor in being honored for the Cecil B. Demille award.
Chris Evans makes his way to the stage to present Spotlight, the next nominee for Best Motion Picture – Drama.
Morgan Freeman is the next presenter.
Best Director – Motion Picture
- Todd Haynes – Carol
- Alejandro González Iñárritu – The Revenant (WINNER)
- Tom McCarthy – Spotlight
- George Miller – Mad Max: Fury Road
- Ridley Scott – The Martian
Kate Bosworth and Sophia Bush are the next award presenters.
Best Performance By an Actress in a Television Series – Drama
- Viola Davis – How to Get Away With Murder
- Caitrona Balfe – Outlander
- Eva Green – Penny Dreadful
- Taraji P. Henson – Empire (WINNER)
- Robin Wright – House of Cards
Cookies for everyone.
Michael Keaton is the next presenter.
Best Performance By an Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
- Jennifer Lawrence – Joy (WINNER)
- Melissa McCarthy – Spy
- Amy Schumer – Trainwreck
- Maggie Smith – Lady in the Van
- Lily Tomlin – Grandma
Amy Schumer was robbed. I had originally thought J-Law would win because they all have hard-ons for her, but then I thought they may go bold in choosing Schumer, but NOPE.
Maggie Gyllenhaal presents the clip for Room, the next film nominated for Best Motion Picture – Drama.
Two-time Golden Globe winner Jim Carrey is the next presenter to hit the stage.
Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- The Big Short
- The Martian
Even Ridley Scott is confused why he’s winning an award for a comedy category for The Martian.
Eddie Redmayne is the next award presenter.
Best Performance By an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
- Cate Blanchett – Carol
- Brie Larson – Room (WINNER)
- Rooney Mara – Carol
- Saoirse Ronan – Brooklyn
- Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl
Well at least the HFPA got something right tonight. All of these actresses are winners in my book though.
Julianne Moore is the next award presenter.
Best Performance By an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
- Bryan Cranston – Trumbo
- Leonardo DiCaprio – The Revenant (WINNER)
- Michael Fassbender – Steve Jobs
- Eddie Redmayne – The Danish Girl
- Will Smith – Concussion
Harrison Ford is the final presenter of the evening.
Best Motion Picture – Drama
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- The Revenant (WINNER)
And that’s a wrap everyone. This next GIF perfectly sums up my thoughts on tonight’s outcome: