Has it really been 17 years since we last saw a Yoshi game on a Nintendo console in Yoshi’s Story? Nintendo is making up for lost time as they debuted their first look at Yoshi’s Woolly World for the Wii U, expected to release in early 2015. Watch the first gameplay trailer after the break, which was shown during the E3 2014 press conference earlier this morning.
I remember playing Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island for hours on end for the Super Nintendo. Sadly, I haven’t played a single Yoshi game since. This game looks like a lot of adorable fun. The animation is just stupendous with all of the yarn detail on the characters and level design. The transformation of Yoshi’s feet and when the bad guys are unthreaded is really cool and inventive.
I haven’t played Kirby’s Epic Yarn, but I doubt it will feel similar as both games have very different mechanics. I think fans of Yoshi games are really going to enjoy this new title. Yet another good example at how Nintendo is working tirelessly to improve the Wii U’s likability.
Here’s the official rundown on what you can expect from Yoshi’s Woolly World, courtesy of Nintendo:
Embark on a new Yoshi adventure in a world made from yarn, cloth and textiles. Explore the world by using yarn to weave wool platforms and warp pipes to reach new areas, and gleefully unravel its secrets and puzzles by pulling yarn walls apart. Add a little color to Yoshi’s life with a spectrum of yarn balls. Then team up with a friend to have a ball together in this wild and woolly world.
- Players tangle, pull and stitch yarn to explore Yoshi’s world in creative new ways.
- Yoshi has never been more adorable than as a toy knit from yarn. His entire environment is made from materials like felt, yarn, cloth and cotton, creating a gorgeous HD world that looks good enough to touch.
- Instead of eggs, Yoshi tosses yarn balls at enemies. He can incapacitate a Piranha Plant by muzzling it with a piece of colored string. Or he can even use the yarn to knit together background elements.
- Gobble friends and turn them into eggs. Then toss them into hard-to-reach heights and secret depths to discover in two-player cooperative play.
- The game is co-developed by Good-Feel, the developer that created Kirby’s Epic Yarn, and Nintendo Co., Ltd under the supervision of Takashi Tezuka, producer of Yoshi’s Story and the Yoshi’s Island series.
(Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge the images and begin the gallery)
Yoshi’s Woolly World will be available exclusively for the Wii U sometime in the first half of 2015.
You can follow me on the Twitter at @TyRawrrnosaurus for more updates as they become available.