Studio Ghibli fans can finally breathe a little easier today as Walt Disney Home Entertainment is proud to announce that they will be releasing Princess Mononoke on Blu-ray come November 18. Not only will one of the most beloved Ghibli classics be converted to the hi-def format, but Miyazaki’s final film, The Wind Rises, and one of his first, Kiki’s Delivery Service, will also be available on Blu-ray the same day. Learn more about the special features after the break.
It’s beautiful animated movies like these that make you truly appreciate the art of storytelling. These days we are littered with computer animated films that look great, but just don’t have the same feel as the hand drawn animated movies of years past. Many Ghibli fans have been waiting for their chance to own Princess Mononoke for quite some time. Most of the essential Hayao Miyazaki directed films are available on Blu-ray now, such as Howl’s Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, and Ponyo; all that’s left that I desire is Spirited Away.
Princess Mononoke – Inflicted with a deadly curse, a young warrior named Ashitaka sets out to the forests of the west in search of the cure that will save his life. Once there, he becomes inextricably entangled in a bitter battle that matches Lady Eboshi and a proud clan of humans against the forest’s animal gods… who are led by the brave Princess Mononoke, a young woman raised by wolves!
Special Features included on the Princess Mononoke Blu-ray are:
- Princess Mononoke in the USA – In September of 1999, Princess Mononoke’s director, Hayao Miyazaki traveled to the US and Canada to promote the film’s release. This feature is a record of those events
- Jada Pinkett Smith, Claire Danes, Billy Bob Thornton, Gillian Anderson, Billy Crudup talk about acting in the English voice cast in Princess Mononoke
- Original Japanese Storyboards
- Original Japanese and English Trailers
- Original English Theatrical Trailer
- Original TV Spots
Kiki’s Delivery Service – Kiki is an enterprising young girl who must follow tradition to become a full-fledged witch. Venturing out with only her black cat, Jiji, Kiki flies off for the adventure of a lifetime. Landing in a far-off city, she sets up a high-flying delivery service and begins a wonderful experience of independence and responsibility as she finds her place in the world.
Special Features included on the Kiki’s Delivery Service Blu-ray are:
- Introduction by John Lasseter
- Original Japanese Storyboards
- Original Japanese Trailers
- Behind the Microphone – English voice cast members Kirsten Dunst, Janeane Garofalo and Phil Hartman give voice to their on-screen characters
- Creating Kiki’s Delivery Service – Director Miyazaki discusses how he created the world of the movie
- Kiki & Jiji – Producer Toshio Suzuki reveals how Director Miyazaki based the character of Kiki on Suzuki’s teenage daughter
- Flying with Kiki & Beyond – The director discusses how he approached Kiki flying
- Producer’s Perspective: Collaborating with Miyazaki – The producer talks about how he worked with the director through the years
- The Locations of Kiki – The real world locations that influenced the look of the film are revealed
- Scoring Miyazaki – Composer Joe Hisaishi talks about his approach in writing the music.
The Wind Rises – Jiro dreams of flying and designing beautiful airplanes, inspired by the famous Italian aeronautical designer Caproni. Nearsighted and unable to be a pilot, he becomes one of the world’s most accomplished airplane designers, experiencing key historical events in an epic tale of love, perseverance and the challenges of living and making choices in a turbulent world.
Special Features included on The Wind Rises Blu-ray are:
- The Wind Rises: Behind the Microphone
- Original Japanese Trailers and TV Spots
- Announcement of the Completion of the Film
(Click on the images below to enlarge the art)
The Wind Rises, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke will be released on Blu-ray November 18, 2014.
You can find me on the Twitter @TyRawrrnosaurus