We’ve got another full week of home video release announcements to share with you Coming Soon to Blu-ray and DVD. While we provide you with a list of releases Now Available to Own every Tuesday, Coming Soon looks at all of the pre-order announcements. For the week of January 24, 2015, Interstellar, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, Penguins of Madagascar, and more have been given release dates. Find out when they’ll be out and what special features they’ll have after the break.
Synopsis: When a wormhole (which hypothetically connects widely-separated regions of spacetime) is newly discovered, a team of explorers and scientists embark on a voyage through it to transcend previous limitations on human space travel.
- Feature film in high definition
- For a limited time, the Blu-ray Combo Pack will also include an authentic, collectible Interstellar film cell from an original 70MM IMAX print of the film.
- The Science of Interstellar—Extended cut of the broadcast special.
- Plotting an Interstellar Journey—Discusses the film’s origins, influences and narrative designs.
- Life on Cooper’s Farm—Bringing Americana and the grounded nature of a farm to a sci-fi space movie.
- The Dust—Learn how cast and crew avoided sand blindness, and see how to create, and clean up after, a catastrophic dust storm.
- TARS and CASE—Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.
- Cosmic Sounds—The concepts, process, and recording of Hans Zimmer’s unforgettable score.
- The Space Suits—A look at the design and build of the suits and helmets, and what it was like to wear them.
- The Endurance—Explore this massive set with a guided tour by production designer Nathan Crowley.
- Shooting in Iceland: Miller’s Planet/Mann’s Planet—Travel with the cast and crew to Iceland and see the challenges they faced in creating two vastly different worlds in one country.
- The Ranger and the Lander—A look at the other two spaceships in the film.
- Miniatures in Space—Marvel at the large-scale models used in the explosive docking sequence.
- The Simulation of Zero-G—Discover the various methods that the filmmakers used to create a zero gravity environment.
- Celestial Landmarks—Explore how the filmmakers used practical special effects informed by real scientific equations to give the illusion of real space travel for both the actors and the audience.
- Across All Dimensions and Time—A look at the concept and design of the Tesseract, which incorporated a practical set rather than a green screen.
- Final Thoughts—The cast and crew reflect back on their Interstellar experience.
- Theatrical Trailers
Directed by Christopher Nolan, Interstellar stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Casey Affleck, Michael Caine, Topher Grace, Wes Bentley, Ellen Burstyn, and John Lithgow. This release will be available on Blu-ray and DVD on March 31, 2015.
Official synopsis: The worldwide phenomenon of The Hunger Games continues to set the world on fire with The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, which finds Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 after she literally shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin (Julianne Moore) and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) and a nation moved by her courage.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 is directed by Francis Lawrence from a screenplay by Danny Strong and Peter Craig and produced by Nina Jacobson’s Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. The novel on which the film is based is the third in a trilogy written by Suzanne Collins that has over 65 million copies in print in the U.S. alone.
- “The Mockingjay Lives: The Making of Mockingjay – Part 1”: 8-part feature-length documentary
- “Straight From the Heart: A Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman” featurette
- “Songs of Rebellion: Lorde on Curating the Soundtrack” featurette
- “Yellow Flicker Beat” – Lorde music video
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary with Director Francis Lawrence and Producer Nina Jacobson
- Sneak Peek of The Divergent Series: Insurgent
Directed by Francis Lawrence, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Julianne Moore, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Jeffrey Wright, Donald Sutherland, and Natalie Dormer. The release will be available to own on Blu-ray and DVD on March 6, 2015.
Directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, Beyond the Lights stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Nate Parker, Danny Glover, Minnie Driver, and Machine Gun Kelly. The release will be available on Blu-ray and DVD on February 24, 2015.
Synopsis: In Penguins of Madagascar, audiences will discover the secrets of the most entertainingly mysterious birds in the global espionage game. Skipper, Kowalski, Rico and Private now must join forces with the chic spy organization, the North Wind, led by Agent Classified (we could tell you his name, but then … you know) to stop the cunning villain Dr. Octavius Brine from taking over the world.
- Top Secret Guide to Becoming an Elite Agent – Contrary to popular belief, there’s much more to becoming an elite agent than having a bunch of cool toys…do you have what it takes?
- “He is Dave” Music Video – You can run, maybe even swim, but you can’t hide from Dave, the octo-armed and dangerous “creep of the deep” from Penguins of Madagascar!
- Flipper Slap Shake Waddle and Roll – Grab your accordion, flap your flippers, do the dance and join the fun. But don’t worry if you don’t get it right…just wing it!
- “Celebrate” Music Video by Pitbull – Get ready to celebrate watching music sensation Pitbull perform in this webbed foot-tapping music video, featuring scenes from the movie!
- Do The Penguin Shake with tWitch – Practice your best penguin moves and join hip-hop dance star tWitch for a fun-filled lesson on how to do the Penguin Shake dance!
- Deleted Scene – Direct from the top secret editing vault (even we don’t know where it is), watch a classified deleted scene you couldn’t see in theaters!
- Madagascar Mash Up – Skipper, Kowalski, Rico and Private aren’t new to the spy game…here’s a crazy compilation of mission madness from the Madagascar films!
- Global Flight Plan – Set a course for fun and adventure as you trace the Penguins’ path around the world, starting with the flipping frozen tundra of Antarctica!
- Cheezy Dibbles Ad – Do yourself a flavor and don’t miss this hilarious commercial for the world’s best and most cheesiest orange-colored delicacy. Dibble me!
- Theatrical Trailer
- Image Gallery
Directed by Eric Darnell and Simon J. Smith, Penguins of Madagascar stars the voices of Tom McGrath, Chris Miller, Christopher Knights, Conrad Vernon, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ken Jeong, Annet Mahendru, Peter Stormare, and John Malkovich. The release will be available on Blu-ray, DVD, and special Easter DVD on March 17, 2015
Synopsis: A critical favorite at this year’s Cannes Festival, where it took the Jury Prize in Un Certain Regard, this wickedly funny and precisely observed psychodrama tells the story of a model Swedish family—handsome businessman Tomas, his willowy wife Ebba and their two blond children—on a skiing holiday in the French Alps. The sun is shining and the slopes are spectacular but during a lunch at a mountainside restaurant an avalanche suddenly bears down on the happy diners. With people fleeing in all directions and his wife and children in state of panic, Tomas makes a decision that will shake his marriage to its core and leave him struggling to reclaim his role as family patriarch.
- AXS TV: A Look at Force Majeure
- Interview With Writer/Director Ruben Östlund and Actor Johannes Bah Kuhnke
Directed by Ruben Östlund, Force Majeure stars Johannes Kuhnke, Lisa Loven Kongsli, and Clara Wettergren. The release will be available on Blu-ray and DVD on February 10, 2015.
Synopsis: The shadows of Gotham City are no place for a child but Damian Wayne (Stuart Allen) is no ordinary child. Now bearing the mantle of Robin, he blazes a headstrong and sometimes reckless trail alongside his father, Batman (Jason O’Mara). While investigating a crime scene, Robin encounters a mysterious figure, Talon (Jeremy Sisto), who leads him on a life-altering course through the depths of Gotham’s secret society, known as The Court of Owls. It’s a dangerous journey that will force Batman and Robin to face their most dangerous adversary: each other.
- Gotham’s City Secret: The Mythic Court of Owls – The Court of Owls is the secret society that directly connects the past of Gotham to the current city. Are they silent guardians that are the noble benefactors or are they the malevolent force that manipulates a city toward their grand design? (Blu-ray Exclusive)
- Talons of the Owl – If the Owls are the masterminds, their instruments of destruction are their assassins. Appropriately called The Talons, these warriors are designed to carry out the will of the Owls. (Blu-ray Exclusive)
- Batman Vs. Robin Audio Commentary (Blu-ray Exclusive)
- A Sneak Peak at Justice League: Gods & Monsters – An advance look at the next DC Universe Original Movie with the creators and cast.
- Bonus cartoons from the DC Comics Vault (Blu-ray Exclusive)
Directed by Jay Oliva, Batman vs. Robin stars the voices of Jason O’Mara as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Stuart Allan as Robin/Damian, Jeremy Sisto as Talon, Al Yankovic as The Dollmaker, David McCallum as Alfred, Grey Griffin as Samantha, Sean Maher as Nightwing, and Kevin Conroy as Thomas Wayne. This feature will be available on Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD combo pack and Deluxe Edition gift set (which includes a Batman figurine) on April 14th, 2015.
And that’s it for this week. What are you looking forward to owning?
Stay tuned for more Blu-Ray and DVD announcements every Saturday. Click the button below to see what else will be available soon:
You can follow me on the Twitters at @TyRawrrnosaurus