The rag tag group of the most skilled intergalactic protectors of the universe will make their big debut tomorrow on Jimmy Kimmel Live, but until then we’ve got our first official look at the Guardians of the Galaxy in three brand new images. Opening August 1, Marvel Studios will be releasing their most daring film yet, with a cast of characters few in the mainstream audience have ever heard of. Directed by James Gunn (Slither; Super), Guardians of the Galaxy is expected to be one of the wildest rides the Marvel Cinematic Universe has ever seen. Check out the full hi-resolution images after the break.
While fans will get their first glimpse of the Guardians in action tomorrow night, the actual debut of the trailer in theaters will be this Friday. For those who are unfamiliar with characters, they are:
- Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), aka Star-Lord, taken from Earth as a 9-year-old, possesses a mysterious orb artifact and pilots the Milano, a muscle car of a spaceship
- Gamora (Zoe Saldana) is the adopted daughter of the supervillain Thanos, and the last of her species
- Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista) was a human named Arthur Douglas whose family was attacked and killed by the supervillain Thanos. Needing a champion to combat Thanos, the being known as Kronos took Arthur’s spirit and placed it in a powerful new body, and thus became Drax the Destroyer
- Rocket Raccoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper) is an intelligent, anthropomorphic raccoon, who is an expert marksman and master tactician.
- Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel) is an extraterrestrial, sentient tree-like creature who can only say his name
It will be exciting to see how much of an introduction we will get based on what has been shown already at Comic-Con 2013/D23 Expo. What I can tell you is that Guardians of the Galaxy will be a whole lot of fun. It is a clever mixture of adventure, action, and comedy all rolled up in a unique little package that only James Gunn could dream up. What will be the big test for Marvel Studios to overcome is the character development among our five heroes. The Avengers took four years and five movies to build up Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and the Hulk, along with Black Widow, Nick Fury, and Hawkeye, how well will they have these new characters fleshed out in 90-120 minutes?
(Click on the images to enlarge to a hi-resolution quality)
Check out the plot synopsis, courtesy of Marvel.com, before you catch the trailer, which debuts tomorrow on Jimmy Kimmel Live with guest star Chris Pratt:
Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits–Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon; Groot, a tree-like humanoid; the deadly and enigmatic Gamora; and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand–with the galaxy’s fate in the balance.
What are you looking forward to seeing in the trailer tomorrow?
Guardians of the Galaxy hits theaters August 1, 2014.
Follow me on the Twitter @TyRawrrnosaurus
Source: USA Today