DC fans will be excited to learn that Warner Bros. has moved up the release date of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice by two months. The film, which was slated to be released on May 6, 2016, will now be slated for March 25, 2016. We can most highly speculate that this is due to the fact that Marvel Studios has a film scheduled for May 6 as well. Learn more after the break.
Warner Bros. can rest a little easier at night knowing they will no longer be competing head-to-head at the box office against Marvel’s third Captain America film – The Winter Soldier earned $719 million worldwide whereas Man of Steel only earned $668 million.
Despite moving its release date for Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Warner Bros. seems unfazed by their competitors and have announced 13 additional release dates, spanning all the way to the year, 2020. Nine of which are within the DC Comics realm; two WB “event” films, and two animated feature films. The dates are as follows, courtesy of Box Office Mojo:
- Untitled DC Film – August 5, 2016
- Untitled DC Film – June 23, 2017
- Untitled DC Film – November 17, 2017
- Untitled DC Film – March 23, 2018
- Untitled Animated Film – Memorial Day 2018
- Untitled DC Film – July 27, 2018
- Untitled WB Event Film – November 16, 2018
- Untitled DC Film – April 5, 2019
- Untitled Animated Film – Memorial Day 2019
- Untitled DC Film – June 14, 2019
- Untitled DC Film – April 3, 2020
- Untitled DC Film – June 19, 2020
- Untitled WB Event Film – November 20, 2020
Warner Bros. has remained tight-lipped on which heroes and franchises these dates represent. More than likely, we can predict that the stand alone Wonder Woman movie starring actress Gal Gadot is among the release dates listed above.
Another is DC Comics‘ answer to The Avengers: Justice League as well as other DC Comics films tied into those heroes, such as The Flash, Green Lantern, and Batman. The hero Shazam has also been thrown into the mix, as well as The Sandman. As to be expected of all movie releases, these dates are subject to change.
The new Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice film will be directed by Zack Snyder (300; Sucker Punch; Man of Steel) while the plot of the film has yet to be announced.
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice will be in theaters on March 25, 2016.