Now that we’ve gotten the 1000th post out of the way, it’s back to business. The long, short road to the Oscars is here. Within just a few months, movie studios will have tossed bags of cash into the Hollywood circuit, hoping their films are at the top of voter’s minds before the shiny gold figures are awarded. Nomination announcements begin Monday, December 3, and from there we start our journey into awards season madness. Check out the full schedule after the break.
So what’s in it for all of these studios to haul truck loads of cash into advertising just to win an award? Some may figure that an award equals an investment. If a limited release picture is nominated, let’s say for example The King’s Speech, buzz begins in the mainstream and audiences begin to flock to see what the big hubbub is about. If this happens, some studios even begin to redistribute their films in theaters again or make a big push come home video release.
Not only do awards help potential box office and home video sales, but it also helps themselves as distributors when picking potential future releases. The more awards under their belt, the more prestigious their studio appears in the spotlight of the industry and to frequent movie goers.
Currently Argo, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and Les Misérables is at the top of the lists this year. It’s pretty tough to call right now, but my money is on Les Miséserables taking most of the awards.
So get ready, awards season is about to begin.
- Monday, December 3rd – New York Film Critics Circle Awards Announced
- Wednesday, December 5th – National Board of Review Awards Announced
- Wednesday, December 12th – SAG Awards Nominations Announced
- Thursday, December 13th – 2013 Golden Globe Award Nominations
- Monday, December 17th – Oscar Nomination voting begins
- Thursday, January 3rd – WGA Screenplay Nominees Announced
- Thursday, January 3rd – Art Directors Guild Nominations Announced
- Thursday, January 3rd – Producers Guild Nominees Announced
- Thursday, January 3rd – Oscar Nomination voting ends at 5 p.m. PT
- Tuesday, January 8th – Directors Guild Nominations Announced
- Thursday, January 10th – 2013 Oscar Nominations Announced
- Thursday, January 10th – American Cinema Editors Nominations Announced
- Thursday, January 10th – Cinema Audio Society Nominees Announced
- Thursday, January 10th – Critics’ Choice Movie Awards
- Sunday, January 13th – Satellite Awards
- Sunday, January 13th – 2013 Golden Globe Awards
- Saturday, January 26th – Producers Guild Awards
- Sunday, January 27th – Screen Actors Guild Awards
- Saturday, February 2nd – Directors Guild Awards
- Saturday, February 2nd – Art Directors Guild Awards
- Sunday, February 10th – BAFTA Awards
- Saturday, February 16th – American Cinema Editors (ACE) Awards
- Saturday, February 16th – Cinema Audio Society Awards
- Sunday, February 17th – Writers Guild of America Awards
- Sunday, February 17th – Motion Pictures Sound Editors Awards
- Tuesday, February 19th – Costume Designers Guild Awards
- Tuesday, February 19th – Oscar voting ends 5 p.m. PT
- Sunday, February 24th – 2013 Oscar Awards
And there you have it. We are just three months shy of the 85th Annual Academy Awards. Do any of these award shows affect the way you choose to see movies?
Source: Rope of Silicon