Empty your wallets and check your bank accounts, it’s time to see what’s Now Available To Own for the week of October 1, 2013. Each week we run down new releases in movies, television series, and video games that you can enjoy in the comfort of your own home. On shelves this week, you can find titles such as The Croods, This Is The End, Glee Season 4, NBA 2K14, and more. Check out the complete list of new releases after the jump.
The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition (2D and 3D versions available) – Unleashed from the vault comes one of Disney’s most beloved classics, The Little Mermaid. Released in 1989, Ariel and friends have delighted sea and landlubbers alike. With a ton of bonus features on the Blu-ray and DVD, you’ll be spending countless hours under the sea. The Little Mermaid: New HD Bonus Features include:
- Under the Scene
- Howard’s Lecture
- Deleted Character: Harold the Merman
- Part of Her World
- Crab-E-Oke Sing Along
- Music Video – Carly Rae Jepsen performs “Part of Your World”
The Little Mermaid: Classic DVD Bonus Features include:
- Audio Commentary
- Deleted Scenes
- Backstage Disney (Nine separate extras)
- Music & More
- Disneypedia: Life Under the Sea
- Behind the Ride that Almost Was
- Under the Sea Adventure
This Is The End – By far one of the funniest movies of the year, This Is The End is a must see. Seth Rogen, James Franco, Danny McBride, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, and Craig Robinson kill it. If you missed it in theaters, the bonus features make this buy a no brainer. Although this comedy isn’t the prettiest thing to pick up on BD, the extras alone are worth the added price, plus you get a DVD and Digital Copy anyways. (Read the full review here.) The bonus features for This Is The End include:
- Audio Commentary with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg
- Directing Your Friends
- Let’s Get Technical
- Party Time: The making of the James Franco house party
- The Cannibal King (Outtakes)
- The Making of “The Making of Pineapple Express 2”
- Jay & Seth vs. The Apocalypse — The Original Short
- This is the Gag Reel
- Deleted Scenes
- This is the Marketing
The Croods (2D and 3D versions available) – A surprisingly fun and lighthearted adventure, The Croods has a lot more smarts than the cavemen portrayed lead you to believe. The comedy is well timed, the characters are likeable, and Nic Cage actually doesn’t go over the top. It’s a great movie for the kids and one that parents can enjoy right along with them. The special features on The Croods BD includes:
- The Croodaceous Creatures of Croods! – Find out more about your favorite Croods creatures!
- Be An Artist! – Now you can draw Belt, Macawnivore and Mousephant
- The Croods Coloring & Storybook Builder App
- Belt’s Cave Journal – Take a journey with Belt and Guy as they rescue a Jackrobat
- Croods Cuts (Lost Scenes) – The Croods’ directors share scenes that were deleted from the film
- World of DreamWorks Animation – Music videos from your favorite DreamWorks Animation feature filmsorks Animation
The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Edition (2D and 3D versions available) – You have a few choices if you would like to get outside of Kansas. There’s the regular BD version, the 3D BD Anniversary Edition, and the 3D BD Collector’s Set. All of the sets include a brand new feature length documentary called The Making of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. But if you want to splurge, the bigger sets have much, much more. The Anniversary set includes:
- Audio Commentary
- Music and Effects Track
- Original Mono Track
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Storybook
- We Haven’t Really Met Properly: A series of biographies narrated by Angela Lansbury
- Sing Along
- Jukebox : Acollection of original recordings and outtakes of “Over the Rainbow,” the “Munchkinland Medley,” and more.
- Stills Galleries
- Lux Radio Theater Broadcast
- Good News of 1939 Radio Show
- Leo Is on the Air Radio Promo
The Collector’s Set has all of the above and a whole lot more which you can find on Blu-ray.com.
Glee: The Complete Fourth Season – The fourth season of Glee is a bit of a train wreck. There is an unhealthy balance between McKinley High trying to make it back to Nationals and Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) dealing with her first world problems in college living in New York away from Lima, Ohio. The songs are very uninspiring and most of the new characters are uninteresting. The special features include:
- Blaine’s Time Capsule
- Building New York
- Glee on film
- Movin’ On Up: Glee in NYC
- Glee music jukebox
- The road to 500
- Glee premiere party!
- Deleted scenes
New Girl: The Complete Second Season (DVD Only) – Everyone’s favorite quirky roommate is back for seconds. The latest season of New Girl excels the shenanigans of LA roommates to extreme levels. With more angst and relationship woes, these wacky kids get in all sorts of hijinks. It’s a good season, but I’m beginning to feel that a lot of these episodes aren’t really developing character as much as they are contained stories. There are a few slow through lines with a couple of the characters, but if you like shows that are more serialized, you should look elsewhere. The special features on this disc are light, which include:
- Extended version of Virgins
- Full of Schmidt
- Gag reel
- Audio commentary on Cooler
- Deleted scenes
How I Met Your Mother: The Complete Eighth Season (DVD Only) – I’ve been meaning to watch this show still, and just have found the time. This is the penultimate season, I give the show credit for making it to nine. I like the cast, I just wish I had time to check it out because I’ve heard such good things. The three-disc set includes:
- Deleted scenes
- The making of P.S. I Love You
- “P.S. I Love You” music video
- Commentary on Farhampton and The Final Page
- Where We make Your Mother:
- Set tour with actor Josh Radnor
- Gag reel
NBA 2K14 (Available now for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC; Available 11/15 for PS4 and 11/22 for Xbox One) – Another year, another NBA 2K game. 2K13 earned 38 “Sports Game of the Year” and “Best Of” mentions last year and apparently 2K14 is set exceed expectations. The new features on NBA 2K14 include:
- Crews – The return of the single-most requested game mode of past entries. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)
- Dynamic Living Rosters powered by Stats, Inc.
- King James Soundtrack – Artists and tracks hand-picked by LeBron James
- Pro Stick
- Signature Skills
- More Signature Styles
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Trilogy (Available now for Xbox 360) – This trilogy set includes Ghost Recon: Future Soilder, Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighter 2, and Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighter. That’s all I’ve got.
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Available 10/4 for Wii U) – One of the most talked about GameCube games of all time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker makes its debut on the Wii U with an HD graphics upgrade. With brand new features, Wind Waker looks to bring fans a whole new experience. Aside from the totally remastered 1080p graphics, Wind Waker HD includes new features such as a new streamlined interface in tune with the Wii U GamePad, a brand-new Swift Sail mode that lets you gather the wind and speed across the waves, “Message in a Bottle” that allows users to connect with others over Miiverse, Precision Aiming through the GamePad, players can store more pictographs with the improved Picto Box, and last but not least Hero Mode (players only regain health when they earn a new heart piece or container, use a red potion, or visit a fairy fountain. Also, your enemies do double the damage.) Quite a lot of great new features for those looking to spice up their Wii U game library.
Batman Arkham Bundle (Available on 10/4 for Xbox 360 and PS3) – Included along with two of the best games of the last decade, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, the new bundle pack includes four additional challenge maps offering new combat and invisible predator scenarios set in different locations, including: Scarecrow Nightmare Challenge Map, Crime Alley Challenge Map, Totally Insane Challenge Map, and Nocturnal Hunter Challenge Map.
What are you taking home this week?
Check out previous installments of Now Available To Own to see what you’ve been missing out on.
Find me on the Twitter @TyRawrrnosaurus