Gamers got a little treat this morning with the first, full-length preview to the highly-anticipated Star Wars Battlefront. Not since 2005’s Battlefront II have we seen a new title in the Battlefront series for consoles, but this new trailer definitely makes up for lost time. Unveiling game engine footage, Star Wars Battlefront drops viewers in the middle of an epic struggle between the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire on Endor, with a special appearance from Darth Vader. After the break, watch the trailer and find out what exciting new features Battlefront will consist of.
If the reveal of Han and Chewie in the Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens trailer wasn’t enough for fans attending Star Wars Celebration this weekend, this Battlefront video is sure to have folks more than satisfied. This is a mighty impressive trailer despite not having any actual in-game footage. What amazes me the most is the attention to detail and the vast environments DICE has created to appease gamers and Star Wars fanatics in general.
The incredible Endor battle is intense and well realized, fully equipped with John William’s classic score. The reveal footage doesn’t give any idea as to what the combat structure of the game will feel like, but we can assume the developers won’t stray from the traditional gameplay.
For the uninitiated, Battlefront is a third-and first-person shooter that pits players against each other in order to claim strategic positions on different planets to gain the upper hand in the galactic war. You can choose to be on the side of the Alliance or the Empire – I always had fun playing on the side of the Empire because I’m just mean spirited like that.
Here are the key features noted on the Battlefront website:
- The Most Immersive Game– Unprecedented access to original Star Wars™ props and locations. Photorealistic visuals and authentic sound design from the talented team at DICE. Prepare to be transported to a galaxy far, far away.
- Ground-based Combat on a Galactic Scale – Wage epic multiplayer battles on Hoth, Endor, Tatooine and the previously unexplored planet, Sullust. Fire blasters, drive speederbikes, snowspeeders and command AT-ATs. Fight for the fate of the galaxy.
- Play as Iconic Star Wars Characters – Fight as the galaxy’s most memorable heroes and villains, like Darth Vader and Boba Fett. Interact with some of the most beloved characters from the original trilogy. Become the hero or villain of the battle.
- Engage in Epic Star Wars Dog Fights – Pilot X-wings, TIE fighters, the Millennium Falcon and more of your favorite vehicles in exhilarating aerial combat. Find out which squadrons will rule the skies.
- For Jedi and Padawans Alike – Seamlessly swap between 1st person and 3rd person perspectives. Partner up with a friend in online multiplayer, share unlocks and have each other’s backs on the battlefront. Fight for the Empire or the Rebellion offline, solo or with a friend, in carefully crafted missions.
Developed by DICE, Star Wars Battlefront will be available for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on November 17, 2015.
You can find me on the Twitters @TyRawrrnosaurus